Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kuala Lumpur Impressions: Update

Our hostel has a communal bathroom. This is not a problem for me - I spent plenty of time in college sharing wash-areas with people dirtier than even the smelliest Canadian (ed note: see/smell Gary Yao, 1983 - present). That said, I was startled by the loud banging on the shower door during my morning ablutions. I had just begun selecting my choicest epithets for this would-be intruder when the door crashed open with a resounding crack. Standing before me was a cockroach the size of a 1975 Buick Electra. I cannot say for sure whether the creature was one of the exoskeletoned juggernauts I saw last evening - I don't mean to sound racist but honestly they all look alike to me.

Anyhow, there I stood face to face with this Kafka-esque monstrosity. Armed with nothing but my liquid soap and my Farang team issue Smith & Wesson 908 (never shower without it), I stood my ground, putting three rounds into my new friend 'Gregor' before he scurried back into the bowels of the Kuala Lumpur drainage system. Only a watery trail of sulfurous ichor betrayed the horror I had just witnessed . Suffice to say I will be changing hotels.

Lest I give an overly negative impression, our first full day in KL was otherwise very pleasant. We visited Chinatown, which was full of pushy touts but also had some good eats, then headed over to see the Petronas towers, which are 10 times as awesome as I thought they would be. I'll leave you with some pictures:

One of the two towers and a section of the sky bridge.

The foyer of the connecting building

3 comments:

Barbara said...

You had better keep an eye on Charlie, in case some angry roach tried to carry him off!

Anonymous said...

Wow. There's some good capitalism going on in those places.

Anyway, while you were playing kicking and shooting sports with large cockroaches, we made a very successful b'stila. So, if you come to visit, we'll make it again for you.

Rick

Unknown said...

Dude, you're disseminating false info about me to the intarweb. This is slander and I will not stand for it! I'll have the world know that I only have one scent and that is fresh. I also clean up well.