Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Things you can get for 10 baht #9, a delightful tale in which Ian acquires a scrumptous ice cream treat, but is put off by the gelatinous white ovoids

For our (possibly last) installment in the TYCGF10B series, I present to you this cup of ice cream:


The street vendor had no signs and spoke no English, so I said the word for one ('nung') and watched to see what I got. It started out simple, with two scoops of vanilla, but sped into a blur I could scarce follow. The vendor disappeared in a whirlwind of chocolate sauce and candied things. An observer from above may have been able to see the treat building within the eye of this sugar-storm, but I had to wait for the last clouds of ice to die down. What emerged was a bowl packed with goodies, brimming with additional scoops and flavors of ice cream, candied pineapple, chocolate sauce, and a nasty white gel I can best describe as rendered squid brain. I worried at the coming damage to my already troubled pocket book, but the punchline is of course already spoiled - I handed the lady 100 baht, and she gave me 90 back in change.

I still don't know what the white stuff is. I threw it out after one repugnant bite. The rest was quite tasty.

No comments: