Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trouble in Paradise: Reader Poll #2

You've been reading the blog, drooling over delicious thai food, laughing at our bad jokes, and looking at our photos and imagining that it's actually you smiling on a sunny beach, instead of sitting at a poorly lit desk putting off writing those TPS reports. Things must be perfect for us, right?

Oh if only it were true. As with any long companionship in close quarters, the arguments have come, temperatures have run hot, and words were said that could never be taken back. Yes, dear readers, bitter seeds were planted in Bangkok, bitter seeds indeed. Now these bitter seeds have turned into bitter plants, which blossomed into bitter flowers, whose bitter petals subsequently fell off, revealing the bitter buds, which finally grew into the bitter fruits of our misfortune.

In the spirit of the coming election, and in hopes of salvaging what little remains from the wreckage of our relationship, Tiara and I humbly present our debate, the source of so much heartache and hostility, for our readers to decide. First, a little background:

The banana roti, famous the world over (and particularly popular with readers), actually comes in multiple varieties. The simplest form is just the fried dough and condensed milk. A step up is adding slices of banana to the inside of this dough. These are well and good, but the supreme roti, the Cadillac of rotis, goes one step further. A single egg is cracked into a metal canister. To this canister one adds a single banana, sliced. By some unknown alchemy, the resultant mixture metamorphoses into a substance of pure God. This is then added to the pancake, fried, and imbibed. The ovoid admixture has a profound effect on the dopamine system, the details of which I will leave to the Scientists to despoil.

Now, we reach our quandary. The heavenly union of egg and banana (the "manna") has surpassed both banana and egg, and requires a new name. Tiara and I agree (as I'm sure will our readers), that a portmanteau is the only possible solution. The devil, as they say, is in the details.

Which leads us finally to our poll, the question at the source of our rancorous dispute: What is the best name for the egg/banana mixture?

Choices:
Bananegg
Eggnana

You have three days to cast your ballot.

6 comments:

Richard said...

I vote for baneggs

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed! Quite the dilemma. Both the banana and the egg are certainly among the supreme delectable foods of the Gods. Both possess divine qualities that would make it almost impossible to choose one over the other. I LOVE them both. I could never choose between the two. My immediate thought what, "How do I honor both without disgracing the other?" My solution... Given that the banana grows as a "fruit of the vine", my one concession is to allow it this slight advantage. I will let "B" be the first letter. I feel it is only fair to take a letter from each, alternating to come up with a whole new name. BEAG-N-GAE
If you use a bit of the flair of an Irish brogue, the pronunciation is quite stylish. Very old country, but new world also. This way one title does not supersede the other. Plus, myself being Irish, I would hold this name near and dear to my heart. Such is my vote! Enjoying your journal and journeys along with you. God Bless and continue to have awesome fun! Peace, Anne

Anonymous said...

I kind of like cannabananaegga

-Lynne-

Richard said...

banegga-roti would be my choice...close to richards, but his could suggest "banning eggs" which would put you back to banana rotis

Anonymous said...

I chose Egg-nana, because it sort of rhymes with Nirvana. Bubmom

Ian said...

While we appreciate the enthusiastic response to this poll, we ask our readers to please refrain from proposing alternative names for the banana/egg mixture, and stick to the ones in the poll at top right. Our relationship is complicated enough as it is.